Monday, January 16, 2012

Me Gusta Taco Melts!

Know what's super pathetic? I had to go to free translation to make sure that I spelled "Me gusta" or "I like" correctly before posting this blog. Clearly that four years of Spanish in school served me well.


But, this recipe really is "muy bueno" and best of all incredibly simple to make. Ever since I started my grown up real world job (all of ten hours ago) I have been scouring the Internet for easy to make, weeknight meals that are tasty and do not break the bank. I tested this one out over the weekend and it comes from Pillsbury and is called Grands! Easy Taco Melts. This is my first recipe from the major supplier of all things doughy and I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first. I hate recipes that push products (obviously they are going to push their name brand of "Grands", but does it really make a difference if I use Old El Paso Thick n' Chunky Salsa? I think not. Also, I just thought it was going to plain suck, sort of like making the equivalent to a fast food dinner. I was proven wrong, deliciously incorrect, on both counts. Here is the easy recipe:

The Dough Boys. Photo from www.pillsbury.com
Mine
Grands! Easy Taco Melts
Makes 8-10 Melts

INGREDIENTS
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef, cooked, drained
1 1/2 cups Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
1  can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® refrigerated biscuits
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend (2 oz)

DIRECTIONS

1. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, mix cooked beef and 1/2 cup of the salsa. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.


Brown the meat. Add the salsa. Easy Peasy!

2. Press each biscuit into 6-inch round. Spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese onto center of each round. Fold dough in half over filling; press to seal. Place on greased cookie sheet.


Use a fork to press down the sides. 
3. Bake at 375°F 9 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.




Ole!
Pros: It's yummy, it requires four ingredients (well five if you count sour cream as an essential ingredient, we do in my family), and it is filling! One was plenty for me with a salad on the side and two more than filled up the men of the house.

Cons: This was really just a "Meredith is a spazz" negative, but I was pretty dismal at assembling the melts. You definitely have to make sure to flatten the dough out to the point where it is almost ripping to fit the meat mixture and fold without oozing out the meat mixture (wow that was a gross way to describe food. Sorry!)

Revisions: On principle I did not use the brand name salsa (really the supermarket brand was cheaper and a 2 for 1, I love a good deal). Also, on the side I made a salad with tomatoes and chopped red onion to compliment the melt, but next time I think I would add the chopped onion right into the melt, it would have added a nice flavor component to the dish. Even without it, it was still a hit in my house.

This is the perfect recipe for the busy man or woman (and really who isn't?) who is looking to try a new recipe that is attainable on a weeknight. It is a different take on "Mexican" night that is simple yet packs a lot of punch. Also, it holds nicely to make a great taco salad for next day's lunch, and any dish that you can get more than one meal out of is a good thing in my book! 




No comments:

Post a Comment