Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies...I Just Went There

No you do not have to re-read the title, it's correct. Some genus, "The Picky Palette" to be exact, decided to bake a cookie into a cookie to see what would happen. What happened was a cookiegasm. It will rock your cookie world. This was my first recipe from, "The Picky Palate", which is a fabulous blog full of original recipes. Without further adieu, here's the recipe:

Hers. Yum. Photo from http://www.picky-palate.com/



Mine


Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks softened butter
3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
1 Cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
3 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 oz bag chocolate chips
1 bag Oreo Cookies, I used the double stuff

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.   In a stand or electric mixer cream butter and sugars until well combined.  Add in eggs and vanilla until well combined.

2.  In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until just combined. (I added about 1/4 C of water as well-see revisions below)

3. Using a cookie scoop take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie.  (I found the cookie scoop to hinder the process-I just used my hands-it's messy either way)Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo Cookie.  Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo Cookie is enclosed with dough. 

4.Place onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake cookies 9-13 minutes or until cookies are baked to your liking.  (It took me nearly 20 minutes with each batch-the bigger they are the longer it will take) Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.  Serve with a tall glass of milk, enjoy!

Makes about 2 dozen VERY LARGE Cookies

*Mine only made about 15, so I think mine were XXXL!


It's the size of my HAND.

Pros: My litmus test for tastiness tends to come from my husband and brother. They aren't huge sweet fans, so when they turned off the video game (I swear I'm getting PTSD from Call of Duty) and got up to see what I was making and then tried the cookies before they had even cooled, I knew I was on to something good. I really knew I had struck gold when my brother exclaimed, "They burn my mouth, but it hurts so good!" Burning your mouth for the sake of a cookie is a good sign in my book.

Cons: Honestly I was surprised these turned out so good since I really struggled near the end of the recipe. When I added my wet ingredients to the dry ingredients I felt like it was not mixing well. I ended up adding about 1/4 of a cup of water to help combine the ingredients, but it really was a struggle to mix. Possibly it was a fault on my end, maybe I added too much flour or didn't combine the wet ingredients slowly enough to the dry ingredients, but in case you run into that issue, just add some water until it is wet without being watery.

The actual assembly wasn't bad it was just messy! The cookie scooper didn't add anything and I found it easier to just stick my hands in, scoop out the batter, and roll them up myself. They came out a lot neater than the cookie scooped ones.

Revisions: Add water if you find your wet and dry ingredients aren't mixing well enough. Forget the cookie scooper and just use your hands. Finally, really watch the oven on these. I found that it took way longer than the 9-13 minutes. My first took nearly 20 minutes. That may have been the sheer size of them, but they are supposed to be big, so I was following directions.


Must. Eat. Now


Nothing beats cookies and milk.
Despite the hiccups along the way, this is a fantastic recipe that will catch people's attention simply because of their name and then their taste. They are worth every calorie :)

2 comments:

  1. You present a very enticing offer with these cookies and I MIGHT want to make them if I wasn't on a major sugar detox right now following my overindulging all your tempting goodies over Christmas! Keep on baking and get a pair of earplugs to prevent ptsd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make them and freeze them! They heat up well in the microwave and go great with a bowl of vanilla ice cream or a glass of milk

    ReplyDelete