Monday, January 23, 2012

Mexican Done Differently: Cheesy Taco Pasta

We are big Mexican fans in my home and I am always looking for creative, easy ways to get that south of the boarder flavor. I decided to try an all in one meal and give "Lauren's Latest" another shot after my recent disaster with her "S'mores Tart" last week. Luckily this Cheesy Taco Pasta was not a repeat of last week. This recipe was a hit and no one left the table with anything left on their plate. Here's the recipe:


Her's. Photo from Laurenslatest.com

Mine. Ready for its close up!

Cheesy Taco Pasta
yield: 4 large servings

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef {I used 80/20]
1 taco seasoning packet (*Use Low Sodium!)
1 1/2 cups southwest salsa (*I used regular salsa. It made no difference)
1/2 cup water
1/2 lb. pasta {I used rotini}
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (*I used a little over a cup of Mexican Cheese-all I had in the house)
1/4 cup cream
salt & pepper, to taste
Directions:
Make sure you have two strainers ready to go! You'll need them both!
Bring water to boil to cook the pasta. Salt it and cook pasta until al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, cook ground beef, breaking apart as you go. Once thoroughly cooked, drain meat and run under hot water to remove any fat. Wipe out pan with paper towel and place back on heat. Pour cooked beef into hot pan with taco seasoning, salsa and water. Simmer until pasta is finished cooking.
Once pasta is cooked, drain well and pour into skillet. Top with cheese, cream, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts and noodles are coated in sauce. Serve immediately.




Pros: The recipe is super simple! If you time it right, you can cook the pasta while putting together the meat and other ingredients and have a meal in no time. Also it is just a solid super yummy recipe. I've never had Hamburger Helper before, but according to my husband it is very similar. Only better of course :)

Cons: Honestly I have nothing. The recipe is really thought out and well written and tastes delicious.

Revisions: Lauren even states in her revisions that low sodium taco seasoning is the way to go, so I also used low sodium seasoning and didn't add any extra salt and found the flavor balance to be perfect. I also used Mexican cheese instead of cheddar and about half the amount and thought there was enough cheese, but if you want it super cheesy, definitely use the allotted amount. I used Mexican because while at the grocery store I was agonizing over if we had Cheddar in the house already (we didn't) when my husband turned to me and said, "Why does it matter? We have Mexican in the house. Just use that up." Sometimes even he is right :) But, it just reminded me what I can't stress enough and that is use what you have! Don't be afraid of substitutions! It makes perfect sense to use Mexican cheese in a Mexican recipe, go for it! I know it can be scary if you're a new cook to veer off the path, but use your instincts and use what you have in house. Your wallet will thank you. 

Overall this is a hearty and tasty recipe that is easy enough to throw together during the week and heats up nicely for lunches the next day! Great meal for families and singletons alike! 

No comments:

Post a Comment