Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mini Pecan Pie Muffins

If Buddy from "Cake Boss" and "Martha Stewart" procreated, it would be my sister-in-law, Melissa (without the Hoboken no jokin' accent and the whole jail thing and looking completely different from them, anyway you will understand my point in a second). She is a baking goddess amongst men and women and for that, I bow down to her. When you have a chance you should really check out her website "Simply Sweet Bakery" to see her stuff, it's amazing (and she's had no formal training! It's crazy!). But, it was one of the recipes you won't find on her website, but that is truly simply sweet, that I knew I had to try (and could realistically have a chance at imitating). Mini. Pecan. Pie. Mini. Muffins. Oh yes, I went there. 


When I first tried these delectable two biters, I had something of a food epiphany. One of my favorite desserts is Pecan Pie and here was a way not only to eat it in a cleaner fashion and have more of it without feeling guilty (who really can keep track of how many mini muffins they pop into their mouths?), but also to have it as a suitable companion with breakfast, lunch, or dinner! I felt like a kid who had snuck by a dessert food and passed it off as dinner. It was fantastic! 


The first excuse I had to make 24 mini muffins and not eat them all myself I jumped on the chance and got the recipe. While I'm not sure if she came up with it herself (likely though) I still received it online so it counts for this blog for all intensive purposes. Here is the insanely delicious (and easy!) recipe:


Christmas Morning Muffins!






Pecan Pie Mini Muffins

Ingredients

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

    Preparation

    • Preheat oven to 425°
    • Combine first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
    • Make a well in center of mixture.
    • Stir together butter, eggs, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, and stir just until moistened.
    • Spoon batter evenly into lightly greased miniature muffin pans, filling three-fourths full.
    • Bake in center of oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

    As far as the recipe goes, I have no edits. Also, I wouldn't dare edit my sister-in-law's recipe anyway (baking is pretty serious in our family). The one thing I have thought of that could be delicious variation is to try adding some bittersweet chocolate or cocoa powder to the recipe to make them chocolate pecan pie mini muffins, but I'm not sure if you could still pass it off as dinner food. If a brave soul would like to try that, get back to me and let me know how it turns out. 

    Another fantastic thing about this recipe (besides the fact that it is only five simple steps) is that anyone can make it and have them look perfect. As long as you remember to grease the pan, you too will have muffin shaped bites of deliciousness to share with your friends and family. 

    Note: This recipe makes 24, if you have hungry children (or siblings that seem like your children) make more. My nineteen-year-old brother had something like ten before we had finished unwrapping presents on Christmas morning. 

    1 comment:

    1. Meredith's mother also enjoyed numerous of these two-bite delights on Christmas morning!

      ReplyDelete