Friday, February 17, 2012

Easy Peasy Chicken Pot Pie with a Twist!

As a girl working, 9-5, what a way to make a living (yes I sometimes sing that to myself as I drive to work- I sound just like Dolly Parton in mind), I am always looking for the perfect dinner dish. That hard to find dish that is inexpensive, somewhat healthy, and most importantly, quickest to make. It is a continual fight to find a recipe that  I can rationally tell myself will take around the same amount of time as going through the takeout menus, picking up the phone, and ordering out.

This is my first week at my new job and I am bone tired, so cooking has been extra challenging this week. For some reason, I decided it would be a good idea to not only try out a new recipe on Pinterest claiming to be "super simple", but also from a blog I've never tried before. 

Luckily, the cards were in my favor and this recipe for "Super Simple Chicken Pot Pie" is from a "mommy" blog called "The Bizy Mommy" and it's about...well it's pretty self-explanatory. Instead of posting her recipe, I am just going to post my adaptations below because I ended up doing a lot of things differently based on what I had in the fridge, but you can always go to her site and check it out for yourself. The great thing about this recipe is that it's so flexible, you can easily put your own twist on it and it will come out tasting fabulous. Here's the recipe:

Yummm

Super Simple Chicken Pot Pie
adapted from "The Bizy Mommy" 
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:

2 cups of chicken (I used two whole chicken breasts, chopped them up, and cooked them on the stove). You can use canned, or frozen, just cook per instructions)

1 bag of mixed frozen vegetables (nuke according to directions) 

1 can evaporated milk (skim or regular, doesn't matter)

1 packet of mashed potatoes (cook according to directions. She used a pre-made container of Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes just as an FYI)

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1/4 cup of onion, finely chopped (I used a sweet onion)

pinch of Parsley

pinch of garlic powder

salt and pepper (to taste) 

2 cans of biscuits 

Directions:

(Pre-Heat your oven at 350)

1. Whip up mashed potatoes, set aside. At the same time, prepare your chicken according to package directions.

2. Heat up your veggies (if you are using the frozen kind)

3. Dump everything (Except the biscuits) into a large bowl. Mix up.

4. Pour into a baking pan (round or square) and cover with biscuits.

5. Pop in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top. 

6. Devour

Ingredients sans chicken

Grilled chicken 

Mix it all up  
Poor into a pan 

Put the biscuits on top 

Fresh out of the oven! 

Pros: Despite the fact that I basically ended up changing half the recipe, it was not difficult at all. The best part about this recipe is there is little room for error. It's a "use what you have" kind of recipe. Most importantly it is AH-MAZING! The biscuits on top give it a twist and it is so much easier to make than slaving over a homemade pot pie crust. It is a twist that both my husband and brother gobbled up and then went back for more!

Chicken Pot Pie 


Cons: The big issue I had with her original recipe is that it called for pouring everything into a huge bowl and microwaving it for five minutes. Microwaved chicken breasts are going to turn out rubbery, so I was not inclined to follow that step. Based on that, I edited most of the recipe to fit my needs, but once again, that is the beauty of the recipe; it is very flexible. 

Revisions: Next time I would add more pepper and let it sit a few minutes before serving so it could firm up a bit, but other than that, it was absolutely delicious and a meal I will definitely make again...and again...and again...

Welcome to the Hall of Fame Super Simple Chicken Pot Pie! Your flaky, creamy, chock full of protein and veggies goodness is on its way to becoming a staple in my household. 

2 comments:

  1. Mere, I'm making this as I type!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha well I'm glad to hear that! It's delicious and there are so many different spins you can put on it to make it to your liking! Let me know how it turns out

    ReplyDelete