Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pancakes, Oh My! + 1st Blog From My New Kitchen!

Sorry I have been completely MIA as of late, but it was for good reason-we just moved! It has been an arduous task (buying a house looks a lot more fun and less work on HGTV), but we found a keeper that, if I have it my way, we will never leave.

Anyway to celebrate last week, I made all my worker bees breakfast for dinner (we were really sick of takeout). On top of some eggs and sausage, I decided to try my first recipe from Pip and Ebby, a recipe blog I have been dying to try for ages now. It just happened to be serendipitous that she posted a recipe for Chocolate Chip Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes last week, easily one of my favorite foods ever. I rarely meet a pancake I don't like, but haven't made one that didn't require a toaster oven or a microwave in years. Let's just say after making the real thing, I will not be going back to frozen pancakes for quite some time. Check these babies out:



Photo from www.pipandebby.com


In a medium bowl, combine:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, combine:
3 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
Add the flour mixture to the batter and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix!
Add:
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
Stir carefully, just until combined.
Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and spray it with cooking spray. Use a 3/4-cup measuring cup to scoop the pancake batter onto the hot skillet. The batter will be very thick, so use the back of a spoon to shape each pancake into a circle (or whichever shape you wish).
When bubbles begin to form, flip the pancake with a spatula and cook until the batter is no longer runny. I actually had to perform the toothpick test on a few of these due to major fluffiness. Serve warm, with butter and syrup!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can add and subtract filler ingredients to tailor to your liking. Omit the chocolate chips and blueberries for a fluffy buttermilk pancake recipe. Or replace the chips and berries with apple slices or raisins or another type of fruit.

Pros: These are seriously delicious, but how can't they be? Pancake + chocolate + blueberries is simply a recipe for awesomeness. In terms of the recipe, I found it very easy to follow and liked how she combined the ingredient measurements in the directions of the recipe. The only downside was I couldn't find anything I needed so I didn't mix the flour and batter according to plan (I only had one bowl and a solo cup), but I still think it turned out really good.
Handy mixing tool
Cons: My only qualm with this recipe is that she didn't say how many pancakes the recipe made! I literally was making pancakes for an hour (it gets old after awhile). I STILL have pancakes in my fridge. I felt like I was in the book "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" where too much food starts falling from the sky and they all have to escape on peanut butter sandwich boats.
Revisions: Besides having the correct mixing utensils and possibly halving the recipe, I got nothing. It was delicious and a recipe I will certainly make again! 
Also, check out the new kitchen! The only real difference is the paint color, but it feels like new! 

Before (what you can't see is the accent wall is dark blue
underneath the sink)

No more horrible blue!



1 comment: