Friday, February 10, 2012

Grown-Up Pasta Night: No-Cook Tomato Sauce

One of the reasons I first started to cook was actually because of Weight Watchers Online. I went through some "2nd Semester Senior" weight gain in college (aka the "I won't be able to drink all night and munch like this forever so I might as well overdo it while I can) time of your life. Wow those lbs can pile on fast. So, I decided to try Weight Watchers and discovered half my problem was eating out too much (somehow my wallet lost weight during that time, but I had the opposite reaction with my waistline). Weight Watchers forced me to take up cooking, which I surprisingly enough took a liking too. Weight Watchers has tons of recipes that are broken down in several ways, one way being the "easy, medium, difficult" option, which was great for a beginner chef like myself.

One of the first recipes I made from Weight Watchers was this online recipe: No-Cook Tomato Sauce. Not only was it delicious, but a nice break from the typical pasta and tomato sauce type meal that was shamefully typical in our 1/8 Italian household. The reason I call it "Grown-Up" in my blog title is because my nineteen-year-old brother is the only person I know who does not enjoy this meal, and he has the palate of a five-year-old, so there's your litmus test. But if your kids are more refined than my brother, go for it because it's delicious. Anyway, months later, I decided to revisit this recipe and share it with you, my foodie faithful, so here it is:



Always gotta have some cheese

No Cook Tomato Sauce
(Note: I halved the recipe since it was just my husband and I)

Serves 6
WW points 7

Ingredients:

2 pounds fresh cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup basil, paced leaves, chopped (*Note: I used the squeeze basil in a bottle kind. It refrigerates for months)
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP white wine vinegar
2 TSP dried oregano
1/2 TSP sugar
1/2 TSP table salt
1/2 TSP black pepper
12 oz uncooked who-wheat spaghetti, cooked and drained according to the package

Directions:

Roughly chop the tomatoes; place in a large bowl. Stir in rest of ingredients. Add the drained pasta and toss well. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.


Add all the ingredients and stir 

Throw in the cooked pasta 

Dig in! 


Pros: It's surprisingly delicious. I honestly was not expecting much the first time I made it, but it is just so fresh tasting. That's the best way I can describe it. Everything blends together really well to produce a deliciously light meal. Also, it takes less than a half an hour to make (factoring in boiling the water for the pasta), which makes it a great midweek meal.

Cons: Honestly chopping up those darn tomatoes is the worst part. It is just so boring and monotonous. The first time I made it I really chopped them carefully and into fourths, but now I just chop them in half and move on. It tastes the same.

I despise chopping tomatoes! 

Revisions: I don't play around with this recipe except with the basil. I have purchased fresh basil before and I feel like most of it just ends up going to waste and I hate throwing away food. I buy the squeeze herb bottles because they last for months in the fridge and taste just as fresh. I recommend using about half of the recommended amount if you are going to use the squeeze version since it is already pretty packed in, unless you really love basil of course.

I am obsessed with Gourmet Garden


I'm glad I pulled out this recipe gem from my Weight Watchers days because it really is a fresh and a different way to change up Spaghetti Night that is good to your wallet and your waistline. 


No comments:

Post a Comment