Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Everything But The Kitchen Sink Brownie Bar

Ever since getting married I have been on a baking terror. Seriously I need Bakers Anonymous or something. I can't go a week without whipping up something insanely tasty (and insanely unhealthy). I swore to myself I was going to limit my baking activities, which lasted until last Friday when my brother looked at me with these big puppy dog eyes and inquired when I was going to bake something because his sweet tooth was acting up. Now who am I to deny a child his dessert? (He's actually 19, but just go along with my baking justification).

So, I gave in. I baked cookies. I baked brownies. I baked Oreos. I baked it all in ONE DESSERT! All these ingredients and more were required in these "Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n' Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar" from a blog called "Kevin & Amanda". Try saying that recipe name three times fast. And on top of that, I added my own spin on things. Before I give out the recipe, feast your eyes on these pics and try to refrain from drooling on your keyboards. 

So much goodness 


Photo from www.kevinandamanda.com 


Ready to bake? Here is the recipe:

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo
Fudge Brownie Bar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounces) milk chocolate chips
1 pkg Double Stuffed Oreos
1 Family Size (9×13) Brownie mix
1 Bag of pre-unwrapped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (*My personal revision)
1/4 cup hot fudge topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well to thoroughly combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt, then slowly incorporate into the mixer until the flour is just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread the cookie dough in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish that’s been lined with wax paper and sprayed with cooking spray. Top with a layer of Oreos. Mix together brownie mix, adding an optional 1/4 cup of hot fudge topping to the mix. Pour the brownie batter over the cookie dough and Oreos. Sprinkle Reese's Peanut Butter Cups on top (if you are adding my revision). Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 15-25 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting — brownies may still be gooey in the middle when still warm, but will set up perfectly once cooled. Enjoy!!

To half this recipe for an 8×8 brownie mix, simply half the chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients.


First layer: Cookie dough

Next layer: Double Stuffed Oreos 

Third layer: Brownie mix 

Add the Reese's 

Fresh out of the oven

Pros: Just reading the recipe again makes me want to bake it all over again! Seriously, how can you go wrong with those ingredients?! It was all that I hoped it would be and more. The recipe was easy to follow and the baking time for my oven was just about accurate although it did take me the full 25 minutes for the second baking time period for the brownies to cook all the way. I would definitely recommend letting it sit after it is done baking so that everything can settle otherwise it will be a bit runny. I know, the wait is the torturous part, but it is worth it! I've devoured this warm and room temperature and either way it is delicious. After a few days out I would recommend heating it up though just because the only thing that starts to go a little stale is the cookie part.

Don't forget the vanilla ice cream!

This leads me to the good (and bad) part of this dessert: it lasts for days. I would recommend making this when you either 1. Have a lot of people to feed or 2. Have people in mind to force this dessert on the next day so you don't end up with a whole pan to eat by yourself. Unless your metabolism is supernatural, then I say keep it all for yourself! 

Cons: The only real problem I had was figuring out when it was done. I didn't want to burn the cookies or under bake the brownies. I think mine turned out just fine, but once again, the cookies dried out faster than the brownies after a few days left out.

Revisions: If you remotely enjoy Reese's I say adding them is a must! That little bit of peanut butter really put this dessert over the top. In fact, I think you could really get creative and add some crushed butterfingers, M&M's, caramel sauce, etc and make it your own.

I don't even feel like I should have to say it but, we are all in agreement that this is a Hall of Fame recipient right? Right. 



2 comments:

  1. Holy shiznatz Batman. Leave it to Jack to make you create something so deliciously ridunkulous.

    ReplyDelete